an extension of: artandconservation.net

Sunday, May 30, 2010

a sense of direction

Friday 28th May: I woke-up early, tensed and excited. After helping my son with his breakfast, somehow I managed to fit 10 paintings in my small car. And then I parted with my portfolio, my latest achievements, my pride. It took me about one hour to cross Malta and arrive in Cirkewwa - where I waited patiently for my turn to get on board the ferry. Finally I arrived in the tiny sister island - Gozo. I was already late for my appointment. I did not even know exactly how to get to the meeting place. The hassle grew as I became aware of current road works that forced drivers to follow bright yellow diversion signs through unfamiliar countryside roads. But, thankfully, everyone was willing to help the lost one!

Armed with an apologetic look, I knocked the large arched door and after a few seconds, a young energetic guy opened the door and greeted me inside his spacious modern house with a smile. He is one of the leading contemporary artist, always busy travelling around the world sculpting, painting, presenting installations... remarkably versatile. And I was there to show him my paintings so that he will give me his verdict. It was too good to be true. Even though we never actually met in person, there was no need of an introduction. After opening a bottle of champagne and serving it in elegant glasses, he promptly presented me his approach and his general insight of contemporary art.

Indirectly, I realised how superficial my paintings were. In a way my paintings are a mere image ...almost reproductions ...lacking evidence of my vision, without expressing so much my inner self. I admitted that I was primarily aiming at improving my technique, my skill, my style. Perhaps I wanted to prove my ability. Perhaps I was continuously inspired by the paintings of old masters that I conserve and restore in my work.

But he stated that technique and style is not so important in today's art. Its the idea that counts most. The method of realising the idea is of secondary importance. Architects, for example, design structures and do not necessarily have to build their own creations. If a person has a valid idea and can visualise it inside his mind, he can hire the service of skilful individuals to realise his idea.

I looked at my paintings spread along the dining room and realised that I had to adjust my approach. I have to find a way of expressing myself better through my work. And in order to do this I have to research more about today's society; learn the view of today's philosophers; learn more about contemporary artists and their approach; and ultimately I should also discover who I really am. In this learning process, I should identify my passions, my joys, my troubles ...and I should make this clearly evident in my work.

He admitted that it is not a joy ride. At first, I should tackle a specific theme by producing numerous works ...or rather studies. Every study could help me in finding a better way of expressing myself, identifying the most important elements that I need, distilling the essential ingredients and discarding the rest. The final outcome should not necessarily consist of a painting... it could be anything as long as it delivers. 

Ultimately I shall produce a work that contains the basic and most important elements that transpire my current thoughts, my reaction to our contemporary life. Moreover, I should not work alone. Instead they should integrate and work within my society.

Most importantly, art is born out of the necessity to express oneself and not merely to have enough works for an exhibition. One should ideally strive to produce universal work that is applicable and valid in any country... and not just limited in satisfying the criteria (or philosophy) of one's own country.

I was thirsty for more, but it was getting late. This remarkable artist was surely an eye-opener, providing considerable food for thought. He literally sent me back to the drawing board. However, I am also glad that he provided me with a railway on which I can now start my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment